Interesting facts about Armenia
Armenia is an amazing country. Every person discovers something new, incredible and very interesting when coming here.
Let’s mention some of these interesting facts:
- ● Biblical Noah's Ark landed on Mount Ararat (currently it is not in the territory of Armenia).
- ● Armenia is the first country in the world to adopt Christianity as the state religion (in 301).
- ● Yerevan was founded in 782 BC. The city is older than Rome itself by 29 years.
- ● The world's first arithmetic textbook was created by the Armenian scientist and mathematician David the Unbeatable (6th century). A sample of this textbook is stored in the Matenadaran.
- ● Since ancient times, Armenians have been known as experienced winemakers. It is not accidental that in 2011, the oldest wine-producing facility in the world was discovered in Armenia (more than 6000 years of history).
- ● Lake Sevan, which is located in Armenia has a high-altitude, is the largest lake in the Caucasus.
- ● Some churches and monasteries in Armenia are included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. And the Armenian lavash and duduk are included in the UNESCO Intangible Heritage List.
- ● The ropeway, located in Tatev, is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the longest reversible cable car.
- ● In 2008 the oldest footwear in the world was discovered (over 5,500 years old) in Armenia ( in the village of Areni).